Prayer of Saint Francis Xavier

Saint Francis Xavier

Saint Francis Xavier, a 16th century Jesuit, tirelessly evangelized the Far East. He converted more people during his lifetime than anyone since the Apostle to the Gentiles Paul, personally baptizing some 50,000 Catholics in ten years He spread the faith to India, China, Japan and the Philippines. St. Francis was instrumental in co-founding the Jesuit Order as a close confidant of Saint Ignatius of Loyola.

Prayer of St. Francis Xavier

My God, I love thee;
not because I hope for heaven thereby,
nor yet because who love thee not are lost eternally.
Thou, O my Jesus,
thou didst me upon the cross embrace;
for me didst bear the nails and spear,
and manifold disgrace.
And griefs and torments numberless and sweat of agony;
even death itself,
and all for one Who was thine enemy.
Then why, O blessed Jesus Christ
should I not love thee well?
not for the hope of winning heaven,
or of escaping hell.
not with the hope of gaining aught,
nor seeking a reward,
but as thyself has loved me,
O ever-loving Lord!
Even so I love thee, and will love
and in thy praise will sing,
solely because thou art my God,
and my eternal king. Amen.
____________________________________

Prayer for St. Francis Xavier's Intercession

O God, who through the preaching of Saint Francis Xavier won many peoples to yourself, grant that the hearts of the faithful aided by Francis’ intercession may burn with the same zeal for the faith and that the Holy Church may everywhere rejoice in an abundance of offspring. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who reigns with you and with the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Comments