Prayer for the Advent Wreath Week One

Advent

The lighting of the Advent candles symbolizes the hope that the coming Messiah represents in a world that very often seems dark, forbidding and hopeless. We do so because we are a people living in faith that our Divine Master will come again in glory at the end of time to dispense peace and justice. The joyous anticipation of the season of Advent is captured in the teachings of the prophets from the Old Testament: "Exult greatly, O daughter Zion! Shout for joy, O daughter Jerusalem! Behold: your king is coming to you, a just savior is he…" (Zechariah 9:9)

Advent Wreath Prayer - First Week

By Msgr. Bernard Bourgeois

Dear Heavenly Father: in this first week of Advent, I look at my wreath with four shiny new candles on it, none of which are lit. I will light one candle for this first week of Advent. That is all. It reminds me that I am called to slow down, pray and patiently wait for your intervention in my life. I am not a patient person, Lord. But you know that; you know me better than I know myself. In the lighting of this one candle, Lord, inspire me to pray always and seek you in all that I do. In your own time, Lord, you will show me the way. Open my heart in this first week of Advent to find your way, for you are the way, truth, and life. Amen.
________________________________________

Collect Prayer First Sunday of Advent

Grant your faithful, we pray, almighty God, the resolve to run forth to meet your Christ with righteous deeds at his coming, so that, gathered at his right hand, they may be worthy to possess the heavenly Kingdom. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who reigns with you and in the unity of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

***

Lord, our God, we praise You for Your Son, Jesus Christ, for He is Emmanuel, the Hope of all people. He is the Wisdom that teaches and guides us. He is the Savior of all. May He come quickly and not delay. We ask this in His holy name. Amen.

Comments