St. Dominic on Living in Imitation of Christ | Quotes

Saint Dominic de Guzman

Saint Domingo de Guzmán was born in 1170. He is perhaps best known for his rigorous intellect, humility, austerity and prayerful love of God. The founder of the Order of Preachers, dedicated himself to spreading the Gospel and the holy Rosary. These quotations are his instructions for living in imitation of our Lord.

Arm yourself with prayer rather than a sword; wear humility rather than fine clothes.
***
We must sow the seed, not hoard it.
***
I would tell them to kill me slowly and painfully, a little at a time, so that I might have a more glorious crown in Heaven.
When asked what he would say if faced with martyrdom 

***
A man who governs his passions is master of the world. We must either rule ​them, or be ruled by them. It is better to be the hammer than the anvil.
***
I am not capable of doing big things, but I want to do everything, even the smallest things, for the greater glory of God.
***
You are my companion and must walk with me. For if we hold together no earthly power can withstand us.
Words addressed to St. Francis of Assisi, his good friend

*** 
One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.
***
Do not weep, for I shall be more useful to you after my death and I shall help you then more effectively than during my life.

Saint Dominic, help us to grow in our humility, knowledge and love for God.

Comments