Saint Thérèse of Lisieux — A Collection of Her Wisdom in Thirty Quotations

St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Despite being acutely aware of her own inadequacy, St. Thérèse of Lisieux was determined to be a saint. Her life of prayer, simplicity and humility shows us that sainthood is possible for everyone. The following quotations of St. Thérèse, illustrate her devotion to love in imitation of Christ.
A word or a smile is often enough to put fresh life in a despondent soul.
+++ 
May you be content knowing you are a child of God.


        +++
The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness. 
+++ 
Miss no single opportunity of making some small sacrifice, here by a smiling look, there by a kindly word; always doing the smallest right and doing it all for love.
+++ 
For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy. 
+++ 
Then, overcome by joy, I cried, 'Jesus, my love. At last I have found my vocation. My vocation is love. In the heart of the Church, my mother, I will be love, and then I will be all things.
+++ 
I know now that true charity consists in bearing all our neighbours' defects – not being surprised at their weakness, but edified at their smallest virtues. 
+++ 
Even now I know it: yes, all my hopes will be fulfilled… yes… the Lord will work wonders for me which will surpass infinitely my immeasurable desires. 
+++ 
Go often to Holy Communion. Go very often! This is your one remedy.
+++ 
My God, I choose all. I do not want to be a saint by halves. I am not afraid to suffer for You. I fear only one thing – that I should keep my own will. So take it, for I choose all that You will.
+++ 

Trust and trust alone should lead us to love.

+++

The world’s thy ship and not thy home.

+++

I can nourish myself on nothing but truth.

+++

Let us not be justices of the peace but angels of peace.

+++
The science of loving, yes, that’s the only kind of science I want I’d barter away everything I possess to win it.
+++ 
Perfection consists in doing His will, in being that which He wants us to be.
+++ 
It’s true, I suffer a great deal – but do I suffer well? That is the question.
+++ 
Much later, when I understood what perfection was, I realized that to become a saint one must suffer a great deal, always seek what is best, and forget oneself. I understood that there were many kinds of of sanctity and that each soul was free to respond to the approaches of Our Lord and to do little or much for Him — in other words,to make a choice among the sacrifices He demands.
+++ 
A soul in a state of grace has nothing to fear of demons who are cowards.
+++ 
Holiness consists simply in doing God's will, and being just what God wants us to be. 
+++ 
I also understood that God’s love shows itself just as well in the simplest soul which puts up no resistance to His grace as it does in the loftiest soul.
+++ 
Believe me, the writing of pious books, the composing of the sublimest poetry; all that does not equal the smallest act of self-denial.
+++ 
I also understood that God’s love shows itself just as well in the simplest soul which puts up no resistance to His grace as it does in the loftiest soul.
+++ 
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
+++ 
It is better to leave each one in his own opinion than to enter into arguments.
+++ 
God would never inspire me with desires which cannot be realized; so in spite of my littleness, I can hope to be a saint.
+++ 
Merit does not consist in doing or giving much. It consists in loving much.
+++ 
When I die, I will send down a shower of roses from the heavens, I will spend my heaven by doing good on earth.
+++
My whole strength lies in prayer and sacrifice, these are my invincible arms; they can move hearts far better than words, I know it by experience. 
 +++
If I did not simply live from one moment to another it would be impossible for me to be patient, but I only look at the present, I forget the past, and I take good care not to forestall the future.

Comments