St. Bernard of Clairvaux on the Holy Name of Jesus

IHS

Saint Bernard of Clairvaux was the 12th century French abbot, a prolific spiritual writer, counselor to popes, and Doctor of the Church who reformed the Cistercian Order. He was especially devoted to the Holy Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ and was instrumental in the spread of this most solemn and powerful of devotions.
The sweet Name of Jesus produces in us holy thoughts, fills the soul with noble sentiments, strengthens virtue, begets good works, and nourishes pure affection. All spiritual food leaves the soul dry, if it contain not that penetrating oil, the Name Jesus.
— St. Bernard of Clairvaux
__________________________________

Prayer to the Holy Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ

O good Jesus, according to Thy great mercy, have mercy on me. O most merciful Jesus, by that Precious Blood which You did willingly shed for sinners, I beseech You to wash away all my iniquities and to look graciously upon me, a poor and unworthy sinner, as I call upon Your Holy Name. Therefore, Dear Jesus my Lord and Savior Incarnate, do I beg You to save me for Thy Holy Name's sake. Amen.

Comments