Flannery O’Connor on Protestantism

Flannery O’Connor

"The Catholic finds it easier to understand the atheist than the Protestant, but easier to love the Protestant than the atheist. The fact is though now that the fundamental Protestants, as far as doctrine goes, are closer to their traditional enemy, the Church of Rome, than they are to the advanced elements of Protestantism. You can know where I stand, what I believe because I am a practicing Catholic, but I can’t know what you believe unless I ask you.… As far as I know, it hurts like nothing else. We are at least together in the pain we share in this terrible division. It’s the Catholic Church who calls you 'separated brethren,' she who feels the awful loss."

Flannery O’Connor from a July 1959 letter to Dr. T.R. Spivey

Flannery O'Connor, Friend of God, Pray for us!

Comments

Liam Ronan said…
God bless Flannery O'Connor and may she rest in peace. I love her works and often wonder what she might make of the world in 2017, a world more macabre than any plot or character of which she conceived.
Unknown said…
Amen! God bless Flannery O’Conner. I totally agree with the previous comment.
Anonymous said…
This was true and still is about Protestants, but anymore, what do Catholics believe?

We even have a Pope who you'd have to peg down on every little detail in order to know, and then, his answers might still leave you scratching your head.

What a "MESS", to use Bergoglio's word.

May God save the Catholic Church.
Liam Ronan said…
"We might all be destroyed by a hurricane. I can always find something to be thankful for." - Flannery O'Connor, 'A Circle in the Fire' (A Good Man is Hard to Find)