Saint Andrew's Profession of Faith at His Crucifixion

The crucifixion of St. Andrew

The Church of Saint Andrew in Patros, Greece, is home to a book written in Greek that records Saint Andrew's martyrdom, in which it is written: "Aigeatis who was the governor of Patros became enraged at Andrew for his preaching and ordered him to stand before the tribunal in his attempt to do away with the Christian Faith. When Andrew resisted the tribunal, the governor ordered him crucified."

When Andrew was led to the place of crucifixion, upon beholding the cross he exclaimed: "Hail, O Cross, inaugurated by the Body of Christ and adorned with his limbs as though they were precious pearls. Before the Lord mounted you, you inspired an earthly fear. Now, instead, endowed with heavenly love, you are accepted as a gift. Believers know of the great joy that you possess, and of the multitude of gifts you have prepared. I come to you, therefore, confident and joyful, so that you too may receive me exultant as a disciple of the One who was hung upon you... O blessed Cross, clothed in the majesty and beauty of the Lord's limbs! Take me, carry me far from men, and restore me to my Teacher, so that, through you, the one who redeemed me by you, may receive me. Hail, O Cross; yes, hail indeed!" (Pope Benedict XVI, General Audience, June 14, 2006)

Andrew remained tied to the cross for three days, unceasingly proclaiming the Gospel of Christ until his death. His last words were: "Accept me, O Christ Jesus, whom I saw, whom I love, and in whom I am; accept my spirit in peace in your eternal realm." Almighty Lord, we humbly implore your majesty, that, just as the blessed Apostle Andrew was for your Church a preacher and pastor, so also, may he be for us a constant intercessor before you until we see you face to face.

Comments