Making a Good Confession, Part 4


This is the fourth in our series of posts on how to go to confession.

After Your Confession

Perform your penance as soon as you can, and offer a prayer of thanksgiving to God for the Sacrament of Penance

The Spiritual Benefits of Confession

The Catechism lists the spiritual effects of the sacrament of Penance reconciliation with God by which the penitent recovers grace; reconciliation with the Church; remission of the eternal punishment incurred by mortal sins; remission, at least in part, of temporal punishments resulting from sin; peace and serenity of conscience, and spiritual consolation; and an increase of spiritual strength of the Christian battle. (ccc 496)

Act of Contrition

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offended You, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Your grace to confess my sins, do penance and amend my life. Amen.

Comments